January 11, 2010

Moving on

Blues band, Soulmate has been breaking down barriers and putting forward their musical identity, inspiring and cultivating a legion of fans. Some nearly-obsessive fans, including me, broke out in a frenzy when word finally leaked that the band was going to perform in B’lore before they took off to play at the music festival in Memphis. Last night was my first taste of the band’s music this year, and what a taste it was.

I journeyed by an auto to the Soulmate concert that took place on late Friday night at B-Flat (in B’lore). 9 of my friends and I, sprinted toward the venue, trying to make sure we caught good seats and didn’t have to stand it out until 11:30 P.M.
“Set Me Free” was the encore, and as we approached the end of the first set we found a massive crowd had formed, all to show the band their support. This time I would have to wait a while before I could speak to either Rudy (the guitarist) or Tips (the vocalist). Sad, but ecstatic about the show, I met fellow blogger, Anupama, to discuss how brilliant the band had been. And as the perfect emotional coda for the night, Rudy Wallang, dedicates one of the songs to me. I didn’t need to actually see or hear anything to know what was happening because everyone turned towards my direction.

The band was completely in sync and music of one of the best concerts of all-time was ringing in my ears. It had the usual buzz and exhilaration, but also melodies to sing along with, beats to bop your head to, lyrics that were fun and momentous. Tips’ voice and Rudy’s playing was transcendent and timeless; the music - entirely modern and original. Soulmate has shaped the Blues so that it can be well received by dance-happy teens as easily as it could be played to know-it-all 40-somethings. Songs, if not listened to live, can also be blasted from car speakers on a warm summer day or listened to tenderly on headphones on a rainy one.

Looking back at 2009 I reached that music that changed everything. And if you’ve kept an eye on this page you’ve realized it too. I put up as much about Soulmate in hopes that you guys will chime in the comments and share my favorite musical moments. It’s an epic band that can lift you up when down, fill your heart with happiness when it needs it, give you that kick, that sense of urgency to get going. This band is true testament, for the music scene, to wake the hell up.

I also want to thank my wonderful friends- Runa, Pete, Saina, Sama, Tamara, Kaushyk, Charlie, Anupama, Kanchan, Zoe, and all the others, on behalf of the band, for making it to the show.

P:S Those in Delhi, please catch Soulmate’s show on 14 Jan 2010, 09:00 PM at The HARD ROCK CAFÉ.

“Moving on”

8 Pulses Say:

Mizohican said...

wowiieee wowieee wowieeee... it must have felt like heaven when that song was dedicated to you in front of everyone! That is sooo cool! hugz.

Like I have mentioned many times in your blog before, I am not into blues, hence not into soulmate, but your passion and frenzy about them makes me really wanna stop the metal songs currently playing on my winamp and switch to blues. :) I loveeee your enthu! :)

And hey, where are the rest of the pics? :) You know, you should share some of your pics on your blog too, and not just on FB. :D

mentalie said...

this post reminds me of the girl who always got pulled out of the crowd by the boss when he performed 'dancing in the dark'. you lucky woman! i'd totally check out soulmate post your rave review :)

Sree said...

wow, thts a moment to cherish forever!Its nice to know how lil gestures makes us feel being taken care of.Happiness etched in gold.

Eveline said...

@illusionaire: Well, I was on a call when the dedication was being made. Nevertheless, it was a brilliant moment. :) Funny, I've never felt about any band the way I feel about Soulmate. Something about seeing a great artist and feeling like she deserves more than what she has.
The rest of the pics are for a selected some. Aren't you glad you're one of the privileged few? :P
And you must seriously think about sitting for an interview with me sometime. I promise to be nothing but professional. haha

@mentalie: 'Courtney Cox' was the girl. And I wish! But this would do too. Being recognized by one one your favourite bands is a different high altogether. :)
Please do check out the video. And pass it on to your friends. Thanks! :)

@Sree: You just described the way I felt that night! :)

Anupama said...

Hey Eve!

I am glad to have been there for our long due catch-up-over-Soulmate's-music...thank you thank you for even introducing me to the magic of Soulmate, girl...I owe one to you for that :)

TC

Anupama said...

And hey, you have to have to check out this blog called Dear Peter that Mentalie and Agent Green Glass have just started (if you haven't already)...I have a feeling you'll love it :)

Here's the link:

http://notestotheyoungmanabouttown.blogspot.com/

Reine de mots said...

Went for it! They rock! I fell in love with her voice! Never heard something so refreshing!

Eveline said...

@Anupama: You are very welcome. :) I always figured that I'd be writing about the band never having anything to do with getting somebody else to see it.
And let me just say... I feel so honoured that the you took time out of your day to come by for the show. THANK YOU!
Thanks for the link, it's awesome! :)

@Reine de mots: Thanks for starting my morning off with a Tips-induced smile :) ... I hope you loved watching that show. Thanks for making it.