August 28, 2008

Portishead

Working for an online company means easy access to dozens of seasons of TV shows. I've gone through most of Dexter and Burn Notice most recently. I can only watch the older seasons on DVD though. Waiting for new episodes isn't really a bad thing though. It builds the suspense for a show but while I appreciate the suspense of waiting for the next episode, I'd still much rather like to just get to it. So how about this- They have movies that go straight onto DVD, why not do the same with TV? Avoid the whole waiting for a series to air, take a year to become available and provide the entire thing up front. People still buy DVDs that never make it to theatres, so why can't TV shows be just as successful??

My mom used to be in the medical field and she's computer untaught. We have a decent PC for the entire family. What's funny is that all she knows about the computer is well, nothing. She has no idea how to get to her mail, she has no idea how to send a mail, she's got no idea how it all works. So, when she gets online (which is quite rare) she has this piece of paper with her that lists out a step-by-step procedure of how she has to check her mail, write it and send it. If something went wrong she just shuts down the PC and turns it on again as if the mistake will be corrected.
Awhile ago, she came into to my room just as I was in a video chat with my best friend, Imcha. She looked at the laptop like it was alien technology. She still doesn't know what I do for a living. The point of this post is that I realized how some people like my mother have such a hard time switching to technology. Unlike us they will probably have to take lessons to learn how to use it. We geeks don't realize that sometimes.
Portishead is a psychedelic/experimental rock band. The song 'Roads' isn't a fun song. It fits perfectly with the bleakness of the cold weather. While listening, it's hard not to imagine walking by yourself on a grey, gloomy day while a weird feeling penetrates your body. For me, it's hard not to feel almost entirely saddened by the song. It's so emotional; it almost burrows a hole into my stomach. When I listen to this song, it's that type of deep, unrelenting sadness that oozes out. Whether the song is about futility, absurdity, the need to feel a connection to anything we possibly can, or anything else in between, there is one thing for certain - this is a band that doesn't make empty, simple, or generic music. This is a band that deserves a chance to make you think.

0 Pulses Say: