November 16, 2010

The past week was so exhausting. Overworked. And dragged myself around the office this morning. Needed tea. And writing.
The worst thing about the past week was pulling a 14 hour day at our company’s annual showcase on Thursday, and then realizing that I needed to be at work the next day all bright and early.

The best thing about last week – I had many seemingly successful interactions with human males. Haha. That rocked. Also, my best friends, Tony and Runa got engaged. It was simple, beautiful, private and sweet. That's about the most perfect engagement I have heard about in a long time. “Congratulations to you both. I am so glad you have found each other.”
Marriage scares me to the point of an anxiety attack. But when my best friends finally decided to take the plunge it made me well up. Tear, sniff.




Runa and I decided to spend some time together over Friday at this swanky new restaurant on our side of the city and then I bought myself a few books for this month - Milan Kundera's ‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being’, that I have read in college but I felt like owning a copy of this book. Kundera’s writing is fantastic, as always. Stieg Larsson's ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ is one of my latest buys. I picked it up for the most part because the book seems to be all over the place - everyone is talking about it, everyone is reading it and everyone is commending it. If everyone jumped into a well, I wouldn't follow them but I'm more interested about books than I am plunging to my death. I also own a Batman comic by Bob Kane now. I love graphic novels so I couldn't resist this. Would I recommend reading it? It's Batman - you bet.


The music this week – Santana’s and India Arie’s ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ is excellent. Thanks to Ajay for the recommendation. It is, lush shoegazing blues-rock at its insanely, very good best. I've owned the original Beatles version and always loved it. But I suddenly realized just how genius this one by Santana is. It’s totally different than I expected and I’m duly impressed. It, no doubt, is worth repeat listens.

Keep listening to good music.

8 Pulses Say:

Kroswami said...

omg
guitar gently weeps
surprisingly, the first time i heard this song it was a cover version by a chennai band whose name i forget.
mind blowing.
umm thats all.

Anonymous said...

Overworked... Tell me bout it...
Friend getting married... Yeah Yeah... An old friend of mine too is taking the plunge this month end!
Books...I bought Unaccustomed Earth the week before. Out of the 3 stories I have read so far; I like two.
Do let me know How The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was. Will check out the other book you mentioned too! :)

SSQuo said...

Just listened to this version of 'While my guitar...' Nice. Quite like India Arie.

And yes, Unaccustomed Earth was alright, I think 'Interpreter of Maladies' is her best thus far. Would you agree?

Anupama said...

Hey Eve!

Loved this cover you've posted of that beautiful song called 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. Thanks for the music, as always :)

And you're the second person, and one whose recos I take seriously, to speak so favourably of Kundera's writing. Must pick it up soon...

Have a good run up to the weekend!

tc..

Runa said...

Thanks Prissi! I feel like such a celebrity! Love you! :)

Unknown said...

Marriage..... been there, done that, and got over it.

And I am not going to get tied anytime soon.

Know the partner really well before the plunge.

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

A wonderful blog, you have got here!

Santana is a rockstar !

Eveline said...

@Kroswami: Yes, totally lovin' the tune.. Ah, the weekend. Almost here. Thank GOD.

@Choco: I believe that this week was the week from hell for me. I would die happy if i never had to see or speak to a member of management ever again. *snarls*
So it would mean that I never got down to reading any of the books yet. Hopefully Dec. hols. :)

@SSQuo: Yeah, this track is still getting big-time play on my comp. LOVE IT. I thought I was going to float away on a guitar induced high. :)

@Anupama: Thanks. :) I'm fully in love with Kundera's writing. You should plan on getting yourself a copy, it's just THAT amazing.
The Santana song is amazing and he brings a new dimension to these long loved songs. Especially India Arie..wow...India Arie...what a voice.

@Runa: Congrats my lovely. :)

@Shadowthorne: Yeah, I worry about marriage and as a rule I'm not a fan of the genre. Heaven help me if I do find someone I really like.

@Vinod: Mmmm i love me some Santana. SO GOOD. And Thanks! :)