August 20, 2008

Single Life and John Mayer

While I do feel lonely at times, I have to say that we single people have a better deal.
We’re lucky because we can do what we want to without having to check in with anybody else. I don’t have to complain to friends about relationship issues, the mess I’m in and how i prefer work or the nearest pub to being at ‘his’ place. While I like the idea of just having me in my life, a dame such as I have to tolerate the outrageous questions from neighbors and aunts (basically old women) about when I plan to give up the fun life and settle down. Now why would I possibly want to do that?
So, here are the questions I'm asked most of the time and the answers I'm going to give:

When’s the big day?
A: Oh! Soon… I’ll let you know when I sign the deal to front my own rock band.

No, seriously. When are you planning to get hitched?
A: Long time from now. But when I do, I’ll invite you….err…maybe your kids.

Have you at least found The One?
A: Yeah. But he’s currently married.

Don’t you ever feel lonely?
A: Of course I do. No one else does?

For me, the benefits of being single are more than the disadvantages. No remote control issues or me being on the laptop or reading or watching TV for endless hours or using up all the hot water. So, for now I’m just going to stick by my point that I am better off solo.

Today, I had the pleasure of viewing a performance of John Mayer on YouTube. Keeping aside the healthy amount of news he gives to the paparazzi he is one of the reasons why music, at this time, doesn’t blow big time. His music is extremely notable. It hits you where it’s supposed to and the guitars- leave you absolutely breathless. He’s one of those artists who can come out with as many albums as he wants to and still remain outrageously famous for each one of them. He produces some great quality music and leaves no doubt in any mind that he’s fucking brilliant!
The track below is Mayer’s rendition of a very famous song- I love the way he sings it. It sounds rich and gorgeous. The song has a feeling, if I may be so vague. You’ll have to hear it.

If you are in search of good music then do a little unearthing further than what’s been played on these wretched radio stations and give a listen to something that entices and gratifies you.

6 Pulses Say:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're going to deny this and well, not much I can do about that, but I've always found that "Oh! I'm single and this is just so wonderful" is--while true in parts--to a not insignificant extent a case of sour grapes. I say this because I've sometimes told people that myself and I know that it was never completely true.

But I agree with you--singledom(?) does have its own lovely charm and only really appreciate it when you lose it (like all other things in this world).

And speaking of new music, I know they're not a new band and I didn't just discover them, but I've been listening to a LOT of "Die Toten Hosen" these days. Love them!

Anonymous said...

Introspection-before-heading-back-home-and facing-relatives phase eh? enzaai! :)

Anonymous said...

@ arnold: It's not always that i feel great about the fact that i'm single but just getting into a relationship reminds me of how much i'm better off alone - It could be just me.

Going to give the band you named a listen. Thanks. Tc


@epiphany: Yea, it goes through my head all day. Trying times :D

Anonymous said...

I think if one finds the relationship to be too much of a burden or too restrictive or just a pain and thinks that being single is better, then all that really means is that they're in a relationship with the wrong person. I mean when you find the right person, it sure ought to kick the hell out of being single. No?

Regarding the band, my favorite is "Zehn Kleine Jägermeister". They've also got a cover of "The Guns of Brixton" which I like, but it's not too different from the The Clash original.

Anonymous said...

I guess what I was trying to say is that being single is not 'great', but it's better than being in a relationship with someone you're not really meant to be with. (And tell me about it!)

Anonymous said...

You couldn't be more right.